I started serious Investing Journey in Jan 2000 to create wealth through long-term investing and short-term trading; but as from April 2013 my Journey in Investing has changed to create Retirement Income for Life till 85 years old in 2041 for two persons over market cycles of Bull and Bear.

Since 2017 after retiring from full-time job as employee; I am moving towards Investing Nirvana - Freehold Investment Income for Life investing strategy where 100% of investment income from portfolio investment is cashed out to support household expenses i.e. not a single cent of re-investing!

It is 57% (2017 to Aug 2022) to the Land of Investing Nirvana - Freehold Income for Life!


Click to email CW8888 or Email ID : jacobng1@gmail.com



Welcome to Ministry of Wealth!

This blog is authored by an old multi-bagger blue chips stock picker uncle from HDB heartland!

"The market is not your mother. It consists of tough men and women who look for ways to take money away from you instead of pouring milk into your mouth." - Dr. Alexander Elder

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them." - Aristotle

It is here where I share with you how I did it! FREE Education in stock market wisdom.

Think Investing as Tug of War - Read more? Click and scroll down



Important Notice and Attention: If you are looking for such ideas; here is the wrong blog to visit.

Value Investing
Dividend/Income Investing
Technical Analysis and Charting
Stock Tips

Sunday 14 August 2011

Work Less and Gone Fishing Planning Room (6)

Read? Work Less and Gone Fishing Planning Room (5)

Next month, I will have the option of unlocking my CPF money for more investment or retain them in CPF for 2.5% compounded returns.

I have been thinking very hard on few options for retirement planning. What is the best for me to meet my future investing goals and money plan to fund living, medical and health care expenses; and emergency fund for unexpected expenses.

I clearly understood that one of the biggest fears or risks in my retirement is facing a prolong bear market. If the passive income from stock dividends is not enough and I will have to sell stocks in a falling market to make up for it. I will risk depleting my investment portfolio by selling at market low and by locking in negative returns it may be bad outcome for portfolio recovery at the next bull market.


To minimise fear or risks in the next few bear markets in my retirement has become a critical success factor in this retirement planning exercise. Sometime a peace of mind is worth more than potentially more money in the bank.

I have finalized on this plan consisting of four sources or money pots.

1. Fixed Income Fund (CPF OA+ CPF Minimum Sum)

This fixed income fund is non inflation adjusted payout similar to CPF Life. It will fund 67% of my estimated yearly living, medical and health care expenses. I will retain enough money in my CPF OA and CPF Minimum Sum for subsequent draw-down starting from 56 till 80 years old for this purpose. The rest of the money in CPF OA will be transferred to the second fund to generate passive income to meet the remaining 33%.

I believe I should be able to trim some discretionary spending and still live comfortably at 67% income level during bad years.

2. Income Portfolio

I will build up an Income Portfolio diversifying into 8-12 stocks from different sectors. Each stock component must have at least 6% dividend yield to qualify.

Based on the yield estimation of planned capital injection into this income portfolio, the yearly passive income from stock dividends is still able to fund 33% at 3% inflation adjusted living costs for next 8 years.

The passive income stream from this portfolio is expected to be volatile to market conditions. So during good years I will have more discretionary money to spend; and during bad years I will have to tighten my belt to spend less.


3. Growth Portfolio

I still like to spend some time doing more short-term trading in the stock market to grow this portfolio to help to fight inflation and to grow wealth to meet unexpected life events.

4. Emergency Fund

I don't expect returns from this fund so it will be in bank FDs and cash.

Lastly

I have planned to start the draw-down starting from my next birthday at 56 in 2012 (CPF allows members to withdraw fund at their next birthday) and if I happen to be still working; I will transfer money not spend at 31 Dec 2012 to Growth Portfolio.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Createwealth8888,
    I have also a similar plan as yours with the 4 portfolios, however I also have a list of endowment plans that will mature from 55-65 yrs onwards. Currently I am tracking it separately as a 5th portfolio. Just would like to know how is your planning on this part.

    Rgds,
    AB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AB,

    My last endowment policy will mature when I am at 59 and the proceed will be reserved to fund my youngest son for his local university study and all his living expenses till he graduated. This amount should be more than enough since I have been tracking the total expenses of my two older ones.

    After 59, I should have enough resources for self-insured as liabilities are getting smaller as time passes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CW8888,
    The irony of investing in SGX is you should have the highest dividend income return during a Bear market and not a Bull market.

    Wow, you sponsor 3 of your children to U. and still doing very well.
    Respect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi CW8888,

    Your "Work Less and Gone Fishing" series is very good and thought provoking. With regard to being part of something larger than oneself - have you considered volunteering in some non-profits organisation?

    Thanks
    Purposeful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi CW8888

    What do u mean by start drawdown from CPF at yr next birthday. I thought u can draw the balance after setting aside your minimum sum once u reach 55 years old? Can u help to explain as I'm also planning for my retirement.

    Thanks
    Learning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Learning,

    Draw-down means drawing out a fixed sum every year e.g. $20K from CPFOA until near zero in the last draw-down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uncle,

    Do you think you are retiring too early?
    Singaporeans average life-span is about 80 years.
    Every year life expectancy still going up by about 0.3 years.

    One should draw down monies beginning about 69.5yrs.

    Third career at 50 to 70 years.
    Don't stop working if possible.

    Failure to participate in the economy may mean an inability to partake in the technological advances (spell expensive) in products, goods, and services (particularly healthcare). The revolution in science is increasing exponentially compared to most people's investment portfolio.

    What are your thoughts?

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some time we may like to work at slower pace when we are older but it may not be possible so we are 'force' to retire early.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi CW888

    Thank you for the clarification and I do agree that it's not easy to work at a slower pace in S'pore even though the older ones may wish to do so. Moreover, one will be stressed as long as you need to work and earn money regarding on the type of work that is being done. Take care and do enjoy your 'golden years' ahead as it's not easy for one to reach this stage without financial worries....

    Regards
    Learning

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, No, No.
    Once a "passive business-man", always will remain one for life.
    i believe brother CW8888 is a successful "passive business-man."
    i don't think he will ever retire.
    No? Yes?
    Has WB. retired?
    George Soro seems to hand over to his family but remain a "consultant" i am quite sure.
    Semi-retirement perhaps.
    Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails