I started serious Investing Journey in Jan 2000 to create wealth through long-term investing and short-term trading; but as from April 2013 my Journey in Investing has changed to create Retirement Income for Life till 85 years old in 2041 for two persons over market cycles of Bull and Bear.

Since 2017 after retiring from full-time job as employee; I am moving towards Investing Nirvana - Freehold Investment Income for Life investing strategy where 100% of investment income from portfolio investment is cashed out to support household expenses i.e. not a single cent of re-investing!

It is 57% (2017 to Aug 2022) to the Land of Investing Nirvana - Freehold Income for Life!


Click to email CW8888 or Email ID : jacobng1@gmail.com



Welcome to Ministry of Wealth!

This blog is authored by an old multi-bagger blue chips stock picker uncle from HDB heartland!

"The market is not your mother. It consists of tough men and women who look for ways to take money away from you instead of pouring milk into your mouth." - Dr. Alexander Elder

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them." - Aristotle

It is here where I share with you how I did it! FREE Education in stock market wisdom.

Think Investing as Tug of War - Read more? Click and scroll down



Important Notice and Attention: If you are looking for such ideas; here is the wrong blog to visit.

Value Investing
Dividend/Income Investing
Technical Analysis and Charting
Stock Tips

Sunday 19 September 2010

When to buy? (2)

Read? When to buy?

Save up and buy at the next market crash! Not that easy I think.

I still can't forget those retail investors who have congratulated themselves for staying 80-90% cash during Mar 09 low and were at that time still waiting for STI to reach 1200. 

When market drops, your ball also drops!

4 comments:

  1. i agree with your observation. but do you think should be buy in dips or buy in crash? crash comes every 5-7 years and by then you would have lost the power of compounding, and like what you say, you might dare to push the button when the market does bottom out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. International investor John Templeton only invest in the country when there is "blood in the streets".
    I have read this somewhere.
    I try very hard to follow this principle from 1988 till now. The first time my "ding dong' almost dropped. But I had managed to survive. So subsequently, I am getting "bolder & bolder" but my "ding dong" still shakes in each bear market investment. Remember I try to invest only in a bear market.
    But I am an ordinary fellow so I only invest in SGX. No international markets for me.
    SGX is already too complicated for me.
    Since I am here writing this, it works for me.
    Thank God for His Blessings even though I have made many foolish investing mistakes.

    Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lawrence, I am like you too. I have made plenty of foolish mistakes in the Big 2008 Bear but manage to survive and still making money since then and only from the SG stock market too.

    Read? http://createwealth8888.blogspot.com/2009/08/major-sti-market-cycles-horrible-bears.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Creatwealth8888, I am happy for you too. Keep it up.
    To me, I call this Bear/Bull cycle investing. And yes no one can time the market. No one can know when the Bear/bull will appear. But when a Bear/Bull has occurred, it is there and everyone can see it. So be brave when a bear market has come.
    Nevertheless,during this latest bear market investment, at one point my portfolio was down 40+ %. So I thought die already. I am prepare to wait 4 to 5 year for my portfolio to turn around. But thank God it only takes 2 to 3 years. Not only it turns around, my portfolio shows a profit of about 17 % despite the very foolish investment mistake of losing a quite high five figure sum.
    To tell the truth, even though I practise bear market investing, I found that I always average-down buying too early. I still have to learn to use buying average-up technique to avoid catching the "proverbial falling knife in a bear market.
    And needless to say I always sell to early.
    In fact I have sold about 20 % of my current portfolio already. Why? It's because I like to have more "bullets" in case a "Black Swan" or "Baby Bear" appears
    And thank you for allowing me to post in your blog.

    Lawrence

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails