I started serious Investing Journey in Jan 2000 to create wealth through long-term investing and short-term trading; but as from April 2013 my Journey in Investing has changed to create Retirement Income for Life till 85 years old in 2041 for two persons over market cycles of Bull and Bear.

Since 2017 after retiring from full-time job as employee; I am moving towards Investing Nirvana - Freehold Investment Income for Life investing strategy where 100% of investment income from portfolio investment is cashed out to support household expenses i.e. not a single cent of re-investing!

It is 57% (2017 to Aug 2022) to the Land of Investing Nirvana - Freehold Income for Life!


Click to email CW8888 or Email ID : jacobng1@gmail.com



Welcome to Ministry of Wealth!

This blog is authored by an old multi-bagger blue chips stock picker uncle from HDB heartland!

"The market is not your mother. It consists of tough men and women who look for ways to take money away from you instead of pouring milk into your mouth." - Dr. Alexander Elder

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them." - Aristotle

It is here where I share with you how I did it! FREE Education in stock market wisdom.

Think Investing as Tug of War - Read more? Click and scroll down



Important Notice and Attention: If you are looking for such ideas; here is the wrong blog to visit.

Value Investing
Dividend/Income Investing
Technical Analysis and Charting
Stock Tips

Saturday 28 July 2012

THE MERCHANT WITH FOUR WIVES

A Sufi Parable

Once upon a time . . .

there lived a rich merchant who had four wives.

He loved his fourth wife the most of all. He adorned her with robes and jewels and treated her to delicacies. He took great care of her, and gave her nothing but the best he could offer.

He also loved the third wife very much. He was very proud of her and always wanted to show her off to his friends. However, the merchant always lived in great fear that she might run off with other men.

He, too, loved his second wife. She is a very considerate person, always patient, and was the merchant's most trusted confidante. Whenever the merchant faced some problems, he always turned to his second wife and she would always tide him through difficult times.

Now, the merchant's first wife was a very loyal partner - nice, kind, patient, and considerate. She had has made great contributions to him in maintaining his wealth and business as well as taking care of the household. However, the merchant did not love the first wife, and although she loved him deeply, he hardly took notice of her.



One day, the merchant fell ill.

After meeting with many of the greatest doctors in the land, he knew that he was going to die. He thought long and hard of his rich and luxurious life and told himself, "Now I have four wives with me. But when I die, I'll be alone. How lonely I will be!"

So he went and met with his fourth wife. He said to her, "I loved you most, endowed you with the finest clothing and showered great care over you. Now that I am dying, will you follow me and keep me company?"

"No way!" she replied. "Now I need to go out and find myself another husband!" and she walked away without another word. The answer cut like a sharp knife deep into the merchant's heart.

The sad merchant then turned to his third wife. "I have loved you so much for all my life," he said. "Now that I'm dying, will you follow me and keep me company?"

"Not at all!" replied the 3rd wife. "Life is so good over here! I am having so much fun, why should I spoil it? Now I have to go meet with my lawyers!" And the merchant's heart sank and turned cold.

The merchant then asked his second wife, "I always turned to you for help and you've always helped me out. Now I need your help again. When I die, will you follow me and keep me company?"

"I am sorry," she said, "but I cannot help you this time. I have so many other things to do. I can only send you to your grave." The answer came like a bolt of thunder and the merchant was devastated.

Then the merchant heard a voice say, "I will leave with you. I will follow you wherever you go."

He looked up and saw his first wife standing nearby. She was so thin and pale, and looked so weak standing there that she almost looked as if she suffered from malnutrition.

With his heart full of sorrow, the merchant cried and said, "I should have taken so much better care of you while I could have!"


The Moral of the Story ....



In a way, as the saying goes . . . we are all like the merchant. We all have four wives in our lives.

The fourth wife is our our status, our possessions and wealth. When we die, they all go to others.

The third wife is our body. No matter how much time and effort we lavish towards making it beautiful and healthy, it will leave us when we die.

The second wife is our family, lovers, and friends. No matter how close they are to us when we're alive, they can only be with us up to the grave.

The first wife is our SOUL and often neglected in our pursuit of material wealth and sensual pleasures, while in truth it is the only thing that follows us wherever we go.

Perhaps it is a good idea to cultivate and strengthen it now, rather than to wait until we are on our deathbed to regret.

Createwealth8888:

If you don't believe in SOUL, the moral of the story is irrelevant.




5 comments:

  1. I must say this is a very good story. 9 out of 10 men would have forgotten about their first wife by the time they amass the 4th wife. Too much of anything is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Very refreshing to read a sufi parable for a change!

    We neglect our soul the moment we cast our eyes on other women ;)

    Indeed, we are most "devastated" when we realised we have lived a life based on the expectations of the 2nd wife.

    3rd wife only "cold"; while 4th wife only "pain". It's not so bad I think...


    Oh dear! Does that mean I have no soul since I have no wife?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice story...though i can't really differentiate between the 3rd and the 4th wife.

    Very often we spend on cultivating the 3rd and 4th wife and take the 1st and 2nd wife for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Christians it is :-
    Quote:
    King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    "For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"

    1. That they who are striving to gain the world, and are unwilling to give it up for the sake of religion, will lose their souls; and,
    2. That if the soul is lost, nothing can be given in exchange for it, or that it can never afterward be saved. There is no redemption in hell.
    Unquote:-
    That's why we always remind ourselves when we really got too immerse in "commercial matters of this world" , not to forget about the Eternity World we all are all trying to go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails